For the purpose of cultivating qualified Chinese language teachers and facilitating the promotion of Chinese language and culture, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) launches “Confucius Institute Scholarship” (CIS) to support outstanding students, scholars and currently employed Chinese language teachers recommended by Confucius Institutes, to study in Chinese universities and colleges, in programs like Chinese language and literature, Chinese history and Chinese philosophy.
Scholarship for Contemporary Chinese Studies English master's program
A new two-year English master’s program of Contemporary Chinese Studies (MCCS) at Silk Road School in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province! More about the program 2021_silk_road_schoolEN.pdf .
Silk Road School was launched in 2018. It has enrolled 106 students from 64 countries during last two years. And it is expected to enroll around 50-80 students in September 2021. We offer scholarships to students. More about Silk Road School .
Please apply for master's degree program not later than 30th April, 2021. Online Application here .
Contact information for inquiry:
Latest Information about 2021 Scholarships
Scholarship types and qualifications:
- scholarship for Master’s degree in teaching Chinese to speakers of other languages (2 years);
- scholarship for Bachelor’s degree in teaching Chinese to speakers of other languages (4 years);
- scholarship for one academic year Chinese language study;
- scholarship for one-semester Chinese language study;
- scholarship for one month Chinese language study.
All applicants should be: non-Chinese citizens; in good physical and mental condition, with good academic performance and conduct; between the ages of 16 and 35 (applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45, while undergraduate student applicants shall not be over 25).
1) Scholarship for Master’s degree in teaching Chinese to speakers of other languages (2 years);
This scholarship is awarded to gifted students of all Confucius institutes, foreign language teachers who have passed HSK exams, winners of the Chinese language bridge “Chinese Language Bridge” competition for students and students, and gifted Chinese language graduates. Scholarship winners must begin their studies. at the beginning of the academic year, during the fall semester. The scholarship is awarded for two academic years. Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent with an HSK (Level 5) exam score of at least 210 points. Applying for a partial scholarship requires HSK Level 5 exam (not less than 180 points), it is also necessary to pass the HSKK Intermediate Exam. Candidates with specific jobs, guaranteed after graduation, are given priority of admission (a certificate from the institution where the candidate will work will be required).
2) Scholarship for Bachelor’s degree in teaching Chinese to speakers of other languages (4 years);
This scholarship is awarded to gifted students of all Confucius Institutes (Confucius classes) who have passed HSK exams. Scholarship winners must begin their studies at the beginning of the academic year, during the fall semester. The scholarship is awarded for four academic years. Candidates must have a high school graduation certificate and HSK (Level 4) exam score must be at least 210 points (for full scholarship) or 180 points (for partial scholarship); the HSKK (Intermediate Level) exam must be passed.
3) scholarship for one academic year Chinese language study;
The scholarship is awarded to gifted students of the Confucius Institutes, local Chinese language teachers who have passed HSK exams, gifted Chinese language graduates, or those who intend to become Chinese language teachers. Scholarship winners will be able to choose to study programs such as Chinese language and literature, Chinese history and Chinese philosophy. Studies begin in the fall semester. The scholarship covers the expenses for the following academic year (up to 11 months). Candidates for the Chinese language and literature, Chinese history, or Chinese philosophy program must pass the HSK (Level 4) exam (with a score of at least 180) and the HSKK (Intermediate) exam. Chinese language teachers who want to become Chinese language teachers must pass the HSK (Level 3) exam (with a score of at least 270) and the HSKK (any level). Candidates for Chinese language studies must pass the HSK (Level 3) exam (with a score of at least 180). It is also recommended to take the HSKK (any level). Depending on citizenship and level of Chinese language, full or partial scholarships are awarded. International students who are currently studying in China cannot apply.
4) Scholarship for one-semester Chinese language study;
The scholarship is awarded to gifted students of the Confucius Institutes, local Chinese language teachers who have passed HSK exams and gifted Chinese language graduates. Scholarship winners will be able to choose from study programs such as Chinese language and literature, Chinese history, Chinese philosophy, traditional Chinese medicine, and taiji culture. The study begins in the fall or spring semester. The scholarship covers the expenses of one academic semester (up to five months). Candidates are required to take the HSK (Level 3) exam (with a score of at least 210 points) and the HSKK (any level) exam. Candidates for traditional Chinese medicine and taiji culture are required to maintain HSK (any level).
5) Scholarship for one-month Chinese language study;
The scholarship is for a one-month course in traditional Chinese medicine and taiji culture or Chinese language courses, with the option of staying with a Chinese family, as well as participating in a special four-week program with the Confucius Institute. Courses begin in July and December, with a specific date set by the host institution. In order to qualify for the scholarship, HSK (any level) is required and supporting documents must be provided.
Candidates who have successfully passed the HSK and HSKK exams will be given priority in all categories of scholarships. The winners of the Chinese Bridge competition must prepare their applications according to the winning specifications. Duplicate applications will be considered invalid.
Scholarship coverage and criteria
Scholarship winners are provided with coverage for the costs of registration, study and basic studying materials, campus accommodation; a one-time start-up allowance, a monthly stipend, emergency medical coverage and insurance for overseas students studying in China are guaranteed. One-month scholarship depends on the type of studies:
- 2500 CNY per month for students of one academic year and one semester.
- 3000 CNY per month for Master’s program students.
A one-time installation allowance of CNY 1500 is awarded to students who will study in China for one academic year or more; CNY 1000 will be provided to all students studying in China for one academic semester. A one-time installation allowance will not be granted to participants who have been studying in China before for more than half a year.
- Applicants must register on the Confucius Institute Scholarship website at http://cis.chinese.cn, create a personal account, read information about the host institutions and their programs, and complete, approve, and print the Confucius Institute Scholarship application form (application online form will be open from March 1st, 2020).
- The institutions for which Hanban give out recommendations are the following: Confucius Institutes, Overseas Chinese Language Training Centers, or Chinese Embassy / Consulate Educational and Cultural Institutions (HEIs) representing higher education institutions in countries where there is no Confucius Institute. Authorities must evaluate the qualifications and application forms of the candidates and approve the list of Hanban recommended candidates.
- The host institutions are responsible for reviewing the candidates' qualifications and approving the list of proposed qualified candidates for Hanban headquarters.
- Hanban will organize an expert panel to select the candidates and publish the list of successful candidates on the Confucius Institute scholarship page. Hanban will also inform the host and recommending authorities, who will inform candidates of the outcome of the competition.
- The Host Authorities will send the letter of admission, the registration instructions, the visa application form for foreigners to study in China (Form JW202) and other relevant material to the recommending authorities.
Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarship:
- A scanned copy of passport photo page
- A scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests
- A certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation) and an official transcript.
- Letter of recommendation and letter of commitment. Letters of recommendation from applicants applying for a Master's program grant must be approved by two professors or associate professors (in Chinese or English). In the letter of commitment, the candidate must confirm that he/she will be teaching Chinese for at least 5 years after graduation (written in Chinese and signed).
- Applicants under the age of 18 are required to submit their application for Authorized Guardians in China.
- Winners of the Chinese Bridge must submit a scholarship certificate. Winners of the China Bridge Preliminary Tour in their respective countries must provide proof of the award and letters of recommendation from the organizers.
- Chinese language teachers must provide employment certificates and letters of recommendation from the institutions in which they work.
- Applicants for a Chinese language master's degree scholarship must submit a letter of agreement signed by the Confucius Institute or the institution where the applicant intends to work.
- Health certificate. The certificate form can be found here.
- Other documents required by the host institution.
Beginning of studies and annual assessment:
- Scholarship winners must register with the host institution by a specific date set by the institution. Scholarships will not be granted to those who fail to register in time without a valid reason.
- Scholarships will be canceled for those who do not undergo a medical examination.
- Under the terms of the Confucius Institute Scholarship Annual Assessment, students in the Master's Program in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language must attend an annual evaluation organized by the host institution by the end of the first academic year. Only eligible students will receive a scholarship for the following year.
Division of Test and Scholarships at Hanban
Address: 129, Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088.
More information: Confucius Institute Scholarship: http://cis.chinese.cn and
HSK and HSKK: http://www.chinesetest.cn